I get this question often, is there a guarantee I will lose this fat?
As women read in magazines, and hear from there friends if they only do X,Y ,or Z it’s a guarantee….well everyone will have there own carb tolerance, preferences, genetics, and hormones involved.
Hormones are important but also we do need a calorie deficit.
The truth is there is not guarantee for fat loss / weight-loss, we don’t burn, or store fat based solely on what we eat.
But there are certain foods that can cause us to eat less of them. Then there are the foods that can trigger you to eat more of them, or eat more later.
Did you ever try to eat just ONE chip? or one ritz cracker?
They make them to have you crave more, they hit the reward center of our brains…
Let’s take WINE as I find this scenario is what happens to me sometimes and wanting dessert 🙂
For some women 1 glass of wine makes them happy and satisfies them so that they eat less at that meal and other meals later. Which makes this more of a fat burning food/drink for some women.
Then for some women 1 glass of wine leads to 3 glasses of wine and craving more palatable foods and eating more at that meal and later… they dip into dessert, chips, crackers, and cheese etc…so that ONE of glass of wine for some women is more of a FAT storing food/drink.
Also veggies, and fruits compared to sweets make you feel fuller faster, and longer because they have a lot of fiber and water. How much broccoli can you eat before you feel full compared to a donut, chips, cheesecake etc? I know for me I can only eat one piece of salmon, and only so much broccoli before I’m full, but hand me a donut or chips, fries, or a cannoli, and I’m sure I could eat a lot of those. 🙂
Number ONE is Stress can make us FAT and other lifestyle factors play a huge role, in fat loss.
All the things below can bring on the starvation response in our bodies.
- Dieting is a stress
- Exercising to much is a stress
- Exercising to little is a stress
- Not sleeping is a HUGE stress
- Deadlines at work
- Traffic lights, etc…
- Exercising to much and eating to little, I did this for years…
Then DIET is about 80% for some women of the equation, and for some women maybe even 90%.
For women in the menopausal years it really is much more about stress, for getting fat loss. This is actually good and bad as we can do certain things for lowering our stress levels.
I’ll use myself when I was in my 50’s I was stressing myself fat, with doing to much Long chronic cardio exercise, not eating enough, and that spiraled down to me not sleeping well for years, and some pounds that would not budge.
That drove me crazy as I thought I was doing everything right, eating optimally and exercising like I was told.
Then when I finally understood my body did not think I was doing everything perfectly, and I needed to change some things up.
The magic happened….
- When I lowered my stress by walking more, and cutting my aerobic exercise down to less than half, my body perceived this as much less stress, and released weight with only a few tweaks in my diet.
- I started sleeping every night, so my body felt safe to release fat. Our bodies want to protect us they don’t give a wrap if we want to lose weight.
- We are hard wired for survival, so if our bodies think we are constantly running from a bear, or are in a famine, or starvation from dieting and exercising to much it will hold onto fat, and from the stress (high cortisol a stress hormone) and cause a shift of weight to our middles and slow down the metabolism to protect us.
- Our hormones are involved as well, we are much more sensitive to this stress response now that our hormones have dropped, so now its much more important to take a leisure walk, have more play time, hug loved ones, hug pets, stay in bed that extra half hour or hour instead of getting up at the crack of dawn, to go sprinting or exercising.
Some people actually lose weight when they relax more, sleeping in, not running around, eating without worrying about every morsel they put into their mouths as well, or they go on vacation and sit in the sun and just chill out…
- Sleep, don’t underestimate its power as I did for years, as I was one to get up at 5 and be out the door for my long 3 hour runs before it would get to hot, then walk the dog, lift weights and work….Not sure what I was thinking…my body was holding onto weight for dear life, and lowering my metabolism.
Now regaining control of our health dropping stubborn weight in the menopausal years is more about lifestyle change, which is not always easy or sunshine and rainbows . It’s hard work.
- We women who are dealing with menopausal issues have to focus more on calming our sympathetic system rather than exciting it, so long walks, stretching and yes—even long hot baths are all ways to accomplish this.
- But, short intense workouts are another way to burn fat without over taxing the body.
- It is the very long chronic cardio that starts to backfire on us causing to much cortisol (a Stress hormone) which can then lead the body into holding onto weight, and also increase fat to our middles.
- Exercise, if you currently do none, I would not go out and try doing everything as your body will perceive that as to much stress for you. I would say if you never exercise first just go out and take walks, get in the habit. Even just a few days a week, and just move more, and get your sleep in order.
Walking lowers cortisol and makes us more insulin sensitive or sensitizes us to insulin.do more of this and any other fun movement you enjoy.
I also have an announcement I’m excited enrollment is NOW OPEN to my Master Your Menopausal Metabolism 1 on 1 Coaching Program
I don’t believe in a one size fits all, WE are all unique.
This is why I have created my Master Your Menopausal Metabolism 1 on 1 Coaching Program so that I can help more women end the struggle of the menopausal years and feel good in their skin again.
I will be teaching you through my strategic system how to work with your metabolism now in the menopausal years, how to monitor your bodies signals so that you can clearly know what foods work best for your body and which ones do not.
To learn more click here —->>> HERE Spots are limited so I can give women 100% support. Be sure to sign up today. Enrollment closes on March 11th at 12amEST.
I will be in a private Facebook group with you answering all questions working with you as your coach so you will know how to better work with your body, as life happens and thrive in the menopausal years and beyond.